Vegan Snack Off
Host : Chef Jacques Laventure
Judges: School Official, Local Politician, Media Correspondant, Local Celebrity and Title Sponsor
Prizes: Trophy, Badge and Branded Apron Gift Certificate from local Vendors
- Divide the kids (or kids and adults) into 2 or 4 teams of 2 people.
- Gather a set of cooking items for each team (utensils, measuring instruments, bowls, etc.).
- Chef Jacques announces the cooking theme for the event, and discusses the facts about the main ingredients (trivia style)
- There will be “Secret Ingredient/s” that will be revealed to the contestants during the cook off.
- Chef Jacques will coach the contestants (15-20 minutes) about being a professional Chef and the necessary skills- from time management to presentation skills.
- Once the “cooking stations” are set up, make a separate spot for the judge to taste the food. This station should be equipped with a plate and eating utensils, and a palate cleanser like water or crackers. You may want to create scoring cards with categories for taste, originality, good humor or sportsmanship, and presentation.
- With a timer set for 20 minutes (which should also allow about 5 minutes for the kids to plan their recipes) the children can begin making their creations. They will be allowed supervised access to the kitchen for additional food/spice/condiment ingredients.
- After the time is up, each team presents their creation to the judge so that he or she can taste each one and fill out the scorecards.
- Great prizes include ribbons or “coupons” for privileges around the house, a new (to them) cookbook, or colorful cooking utensils.
- Videotaping parts of the competition and interviewing the contestants before, during and after the competition. ( Production team will make sure we have profiles for contestants.)
- Contests will have the potential opportunity for internships/jobs with our team or with our collaborators.